The Market Hall redevelopment works include:
- Demolition of the existing Market Hall.
- Construction of the new works, including an outdoor area with seating and landscaping.
Demolition of the existing Market Hall commenced on 28 November 2022 and will be complete in early 2023. Construction of the new site is anticipated to be completed in early 2024.
The redevelopment of Market Hall is occurring concurrently with the adjacent construction of Edith Cowan University (ECU) City Campus, being built by Multiplex - an exciting development which will create a thriving hub of activity.
These two projects see Yagan Square becoming a live construction site, while still accommodating access to businesses, the bus station and a busy program of events and activations. Visually appealing construction hoarding safely separates construction work from the public while minimising the impacts of construction.
Temporary construction impacts and mitigationsDuring the construction period, some temporary impacts may be experienced in the area such as:
- Noise and dust - to be managed through compliance with the project's Construction Management Plan through measures including site hoarding/fencing, monitoring and scheduling noisy works outside of peak times.
- Reduced and restricted access for pedestrians through the work and surrounds. Signage is in place to direct pedestrians.
- The two existing pedestrian paths/ramps to the amphitheatre closed in January 2023. Access to the amphitheatre will be available via the Horseshoe Bridge and stairs, with universal access via a lift – please see the map below for details.
- Construction vehicle movements in the pedestrian mall areas - this will be managed through an approved Traffic Management Plan with localised traffic controllers on the ground as required.
- Closure of the Market Hall Rooftop children’s playground ‘Playscape' in January 2023. The nearest playground and water park is located in Elizabeth Quay, approximately 900 metres away.
- Closure of the Market Hall Rooftop toilet facilities in January 2023. For information on alternative public toilets/baby change facilities in the area, please see the National Public Toilet Map.
- Access to the Market Hall Rooftop closed in January 2023.
The works are being undertaken under strict approvals, guidelines and approved construction management plans. Mitigation measures are in place to minimise any inconvenience while still allowing the works to progress.
Refer to the map below which outlines the construction areas and impacts.
Community and stakeholder engagement
The project team appreciates the works may have some impacts on nearby businesses, public transport users and the general public and apologises for any inconvenience.
The project team is working closely with key stakeholders, including adjacent businesses, The Public Transport Authority, the City of Perth, construction contractors and the ECU City Campus project team, to collaboratively manage and minimise construction impacts.Further information, including regular project updates, will be provided as the works progress.
To stay up-to-date via email at key stages throughout construction, please register your details at the link below.